1. Baskets: Baskets are great for keeping things separated. You can use them in the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, pretty much anywhere around the house. Baskets are inexpensive and are usually open on the top so that you can easily put things in and take things out. Use them for socks, wash cloths, art supplies, or anything else that needs organizing.
2. Storage Containers: Storage containers that close are great for stacking items that you need to store long-term in a closet, garage, or utility room. Large plastic containers are inexpensive and will last you for years. Store clothing that is out of season or that you’re waiting to pass down to someone. Store away photos, art supplies, craft supplies, computer components or anything else that you don’t use very often.
3. Over-the-Door Storage: When you’re looking for extra space around the house, don’t forget about the backs of your doors. The back of the bathroom door can be used to organize jewelry, bath supplies, cleaning supplies and more. The back of your closet door is a great place for organizing hats, jewelry, shoes, ties, belts and scarves.
4. Under-the-Bed Storage: This space is often wasted and can be very useful. You can purchase inexpensive plastic risers to lift your bed up even higher off of the ground creating storage space that you never knew you had. Store sweaters, books, shoes, computer equipment, photography equipment, art supplies, or whatever needs a good place to go. It’s easy to access and is hidden away from view.
5. Extra Shelves: Take advantage of wasted vertical space by using hanging baskets and extra shelves. Under the sink is a great place to add shelving. Inside of your cabinets and closets can also usually benefit from the extra shelves.
6. Combination Furniture: Choose furniture that doubles as storage. Couches and chairs can be bought with console-style storage areas underneath the arms. Choose a coffee table that opens up, like a chest. Ottomans, end tables and more can be used for storage.
7. Specialty Hangers: Save double or triple the space in your closet by using specialty clothes hangers. These hangers allow you to coordinate outfits, hang multiple items from one hanger, or you can even hang them from each other. Hangers like multi pant hangers can help you to make a lot of space. This makes room in your closet for other things that you need to store, or it can eliminate the need to store out of season clothing at all.
About the Author: Charlie Hafter is on the staff of Closet Hanger Factory, a leading online resource for clothes hangers. Get all of the closet and clothes hanger accessories you could need at http://www.closethangerfactory.com, which is recognized worldwide for their excellent quality hangers.